Questions related to J-1 visa

Here you will find answers to questions people usually ask in relation to visa. If you cannot find an answer here use the feedback form and ask us. We can then put the answer here and you may help others this way.

How long can I stay on J-1?

Usually Robitschek scholars are granted a visa which lasts from August till next May (end of the semester). J-1 visa enables you to stay 30 days after your paper work expires (you cannot work during this time, it is meant for traveling etc.). Usually this will require you to leave the U.S. at the end of May.

What is the maximum time I can stay in the U.S.?

J-1 visa is fairly flexible and this example shows you how to get maximum out of it. You can easily sign up for at least one summer class. You will have to pay for this yourself (1 credit hour is about $400). This will prolong your study time to 12 months. And because you are eligible to apply for a job-placement in your field of study for the length of your study this gives you a chance to stay and work in the U.S. in your field for another 12 months. So in this example you can stay legally in the U.S. for 25 months including 30 days at the end.

If you do not want to take summer classes and have a job placement by then you could be eligible to work for approx. 9 months.

If this is something you want to do make sure you don’t run out of status. That is if you stop being a student even for a day this may complicate things quite a bit.